Thursday, June 21, 2012

Black Walnut Cafe

IMG_5598 (Copy)

Today I had lunch with my mother in law at Black Walnut Café. I fell in love with this place as soon as I walked in. Since they have a counter you walk up to place your order at there’s a fantastic seating area right as you walk in so you don’t block the whole area while you look the menu over. I don’t know why more places don’t do this.

IMG_5599 (Copy)IMG_5600 (Copy)

IMG_5601 (Copy)

There’s 3 sitting areas to pick from, one near the drink and dessert station, one in a dining area and one outside on the patio. The décor is really nice inside with a warm and inviting feel. It’s great for a business lunch or something casual. Almost like a Starbucks where it’s attractive to all different types of people. Once you place your order and pay they had you a buzzer so when it goes off you go back to the counter and pick up your food.

I ordered a cup of Creamy Tomato Basil $3.50 or $6.50 for a bowl (pesto tomato basil soup with cheese tortellini). OMG this stuff is amazing!! I can’t wait till the Fall or Winter time to go back and have a big bowl of this. I loved the idea of adding cheese tortellini to the soup, I’ll be trying this next time I make it at home.

IMG_5604 (Copy)

I also ordered the Asian Tune Salad $14 (Seared Ahi tuna, black sesame seeds, greed, red and Napa cabbage, carrots, mint, cilantro, snow peas, bean sprouts, peanuts, wasabi aioli, spicy Asian Dressing). I love a good seared Ahi tuna and this satisfied my craving. The salad wasn’t overwhelming and had just enough spice from the wasabi aioli.

IMG_5603 (Copy)

My mother in law ordered Shrimp Mango Pasta Salad $12 (Sautéed shrimp, strawberries, mandarin oranges, kiwi, bowtie pasta, mango cilantro dressing, garlic bread). The salad was a perfect summer dish! The fresh fruit with cold shrimp and pasta was really nice on such a hot day. All of the flavors really worked well together.

IMG_5605 (Copy)

If you still have room for dessert I recommend their Hummingbird Cake $7.50. My mom makes the best Hummingbird cake and I usually don’t like trying other ones because they are too dry, but this one is really good, it’s not overly sweet, but it’s rich and super moist. I love moist cakes. Black Walnut also makes gelato so I’ll be trying that on my next visit.

IMG_5607 (Copy)IMG_5608 (Copy)

The portion sizes where really nice and they have a nice presentation with all of their dishes making you feel like you are in a nice restaurant. I can’t wait to try some of their other dishes. All of their ingredients are really fresh and you walk away feeling like you had a nice home cooked meal.

A special thank you to the General Manager Patty who stopped by and visited with us. They really go out of their way to make sure you are happy and feel welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment