Sunday, May 15, 2011

Brenner’s Steakhouse

IMG_4835 [800x600]

For my husband’s birthday we decided to try a new place we hadn’t been yet. Brenner’s Steakhouse has been around forever in Houston. They opened up in 1936 and have been going strong ever since. There’s a great history section on their website which explains how they started out and expanded.

Since we there for an early dinner we got a nice seat next to the big windows overlooking the garden area. It’s hard to see from the picture, but it’s really a nice outdoor space. Too bad the weather was a little too warm to sit outside!

IMG_4837 [800x600]

While we looked over the menus we snacked on some bread.

IMG_4838 [800x600]

As an appetizer we decided to try Foie Gras for the first time. (Pan Seared Foie Gras Over A Bosc Pear & Granny Smith Apple Chutney
W/ A Balsamic Reduction) $17. Was it worth $17, uh no, but the flavors worked really well together, I just wished their was more on the plate.

IMG_4839 [800x600]

We also split a bowl of Lobser Bisque $9 (Velvety Lobster Bisque Finished W/ Cognac & Sherry). I thought this was delicious, not too thick and not too thin. I could have had a whole pot of this.

IMG_4840 [800x600]

For entrees I chose a 6oz Center Cut Filet Mignon $29 topped with Oscar $12 (Jumbo Lump Crabmeat In Béarnaise W/ Asparagus). I have had some good Oscar toppings, but this by far was one of my favorites. The sauce was nice and creamy and I really enjoyed that they used large lumps of crab meat. I ordered my steak medium-rare. One side was perfect the other side was really really rare. I suggest maybe ordering medium to be safe.

IMG_4842 [800x600]

D decided to go with the 16 oz. Prime Ribeye $39 with a Truffle Butter $4. The steak was ok, but the truffle butter was AMAZING. Wow I wish I had a whole stick of this.

IMG_4843 [800x600]

We ordered 2 family style sides, Creamed Spinach and Onion Rings $7 each. The creamed spinach was really bland and a little watery, I wouldn’t order it again. The onion rings where really good, I just wish it was a larger serving.

IMG_4845 [800x600]IMG_4846 [800x600]

Overall, I’m on the fence as to if I would go back or not. It was just ok for a steak place when there are so many to choose from in Houston...

IMG_4836 [800x600]

No comments:

Post a Comment